An alternative perspective.

Further questioning preconceived limitations with lack of Digital devices…What if the perspective is the problem and not the number of devices issue? 

questions

What if I’m questioning the wrong element?

Hello Bloggers,

I have been somewhat absent on TeachingLearningConnect in the past week, I have been busy planning thinking, eating, planning and thinking some more.  Since my last unpacking of the first of my many questions I aim to tackle this term, I have outlined some ideas, possibilities and plans I have for my classroom based upon the ‘limited devices’ and ‘How to?’ question I have posed and devised a few points to help answer this question.

The question at hand is:

1. How could I include technology with limited devices in the classroom?

This question, as I have been informed and overheard discussions by education professionals from many different settings seems to be one that is of high importance, but often approached with some negativity and a sense of ‘…an issue that is too big to tackle’, sense of bewilderment.

This question baffled me when I was writing my goals initially, however one stance I failed to take was, with limited device in the classroom, this doesn’t mean the end of the world to a teacher who wishes to essentially include ICT as a learning tool for increasingly tech-savvy students.  My students are in grade 4, they are aged between 9 and 10 years old. They understand and demonstrate the basics of using an iPad or Macbooks and they certainly know how to turn a T.V on and off.  Yet, saving their tasks, navigating programs ( that are not games), choosing the appropriate format to complete a task using a computer seem to be issues that arise with the students (yet, not a hard one to tackle).

These students will benefit from the technology at hand as it’s the worth we get from what we have. I am 1. utilising GoogleDrive the best I can to ensure students can collaborate, 2. I am setting up my first of hopefully many ‘Flying Books’  #FLyingBooks collaborative online narratives this week which will have an ICT component, 3. students will present their own personal narratives next week using ICT in any form they feel comfortable, even if it that means learning a new skill.

So, what I am saying is, in our classroom;

Google-Drive

1. We have moved away from simply using the technology we have as solely information gathering tools,

2. We are exploring different digital mediums to present our tasks,

macbook3. We are collaborating online together,

4. We are sharing and collaborating with students of other classes,

5. We are developing stop motion films using different technologies we have,

6. We use a variety of different Apps, programs, digital device including; iPad, Macbooks and Go-Pro Camera to produce ‘moving stories’, films etc.

7. This week I have shared and used a range of Educreations castes I

ipadcompleted last year to explain fractions and their various assortment.

All with more in mind for the future. So even with ‘limited devices’ debate, whether devices are limited or not, ICT is evident in

So, should we be questioning the ‘limited devices’ point or questioning the limited inclusion argument as even with few devices this should not hinder the inclusion of ICT in curriculum, learning, teaching and the classroom.  As clearly, I am making it work, students are happy, teacher is happy, I’m sure the ICT coordinators, techies etc. are happy that the technology purchased for the school is being used, which means stakeholders are happy! Then why whinge, complain and negatively question the lack of technological devices in the classroom, when learning to utilise the technology you have in the most beneficial way is the key point. The real question is how do I up skill myself and my students to use the tech we have in the way we want and the way we need too? The answer is think creatively and take risks, explore, actively enjoy and learn as much as you can. Ultimately, what is there to lose?class tasks, students learning and teacher practice.  I feel this question is even being covered as you read these very obviously words on the is page.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.

Let’s see how the next couple of weeks go, with all our programs and lessons all planned out and ready to take off as the sky is only the beginning, let’s not limit ourselves.

Keep smiling, tomorrow is another day.

Rebecca.